POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rotating rotations : Rotating rotations Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Rotating rotations
From: neb
Date: 4 Jun 2003 13:00:02
Message: <web.3ede25019f43bda8499ab770@news.povray.org>
Note: I was under the impression that I posted this a few hrs ago, but I see
no evidence of it. If I just neede to wait a bit more or did something
stuid like put it in the wrong forum, I appologise for this duplicate.
Either way, I like to believe it had something to do with my schools
security se4ttings or somthing.

Ok, the real probelm:  You take an object and you rotate it <a,b,c>. Then
you rotate the entire thing by <x,y,z>. I need this to be expressed in a
single rotate, but I know its not <a+x,b+y,c+z>. What is it then?

An answer i stumbled upon just a few minutes ago was to create normalized
vectors representing the new axes. By this I mean that the new x axis is
really the old xsqrt(2) zsqrt(2) axis (arbitrary example), so to rotate
something by <0,-45,0> then <90,0,0> would yield something like... well, it
involves multiples of sqare roots. instead of <x,y,z> it is now
<(xsqrt(2)+zsqrt(2), y, zsqrt(2)-xsqrt(2)> or something to that effect. is
this the right way to go about it? calculate normalized new axis?  How do I
write an algorithm to this for arbitrarily messy <a,b,c> and <x,y,z>?